This Morning’s Slights
- The landlord on the other side of the country who emailed me early this morning demanding to know why the rent check was late (it really is in the mail). I was wrong to let February’s short month catch me by surprise. I was given no grace period for being a good tenant or acknowledgement that mistakes happen.
- The bicyclist racing down the sidewalk who forced me to get out of his way even though bikes are technically not allowed there.
- The one, two, three, four, five, six! drivers who turned through a busy intersection while I stood exposed in the middle of the crosswalk waiting to finish crossing the street. The walk signal ended before I could make it to the other side.
- The man whose backpack repeatedly shoved me into the side of the crowded elevator. My backpack was on the floor between my feet because I’m considerate towards other people.
- The woman who sees me every day in the hallways at work yet refuses to make eye contact when I say a quick hello. I will reserve my greetings for people who actually recognize me as a human being.
Most of the time small events like this are quickly forgotten. I don’t look for reasons to become annoyed with people. But sometimes they accumulate and the anger I feel threatens to overwhelm me. So I choke down the bile, turn inward, and try to let it all go.
11 Notes/ Hide
- iamjustcara likes this
- scholvin likes this
- dresspants likes this
- smartgrrrl said: The backpack thing. I hate that so much.
- smartgrrrl likes this
- ron-bailey likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- treets likes this
- irregardlessly said: Boston. And the surrounding area.
- irregardlessly likes this
- fuiru likes this
- lefauxfrog posted this